Our facilities were the first to establish a specialized spine program where orthopedic and neurological spine surgeons work together to treat each patient’s condition or injury.
Each year, the neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons at Morton Plant Hospital diagnose and treat thousands of patients with neck and back problems including:
- Job-related and motor vehicle injuries
- Arthritis or osteoporosis
- Strains, sprains or factures
Treatment for spine injuries and conditions usually has three major steps:
- Treatment begins with comprehensive testing and analysis by our board certified orthopedic and neurological surgeons.
- Beginning stages of treatment may include prescribed medications and physical therapy, which offer many patients relief from back pain. Lower back pain is a common medical problem, usually coming from the mechanical part of the back, including spinal joints, discs, vertebrae or soft tissues. Less than 1 percent of people with short-term lower back pain have a serious cause, such as cancer or infection. Steroid injections may also be prescribed.
- Some patients may require surgical treatment.
If surgery is required, we offer the best in both surgical expertise and state-of-the-art equipment. Our facility features leading-edge technology including three-dimensional imaging tools and an image-guided surgery system. This combination of expertise and technology allows our surgeons to use innovative minimally invasive techniques to reduce post-operative pain, decrease the need for pain medication and facilitate rapid rehabilitation and recovery.
Spine Nurse Navigator
To improve continuity of care, our spine program offers nurse coordinators who walk each patient through admission, surgery, pre/post operation and/or treatment process.
After discharge, some patients may need physical therapy. Our rehabilitation centers provide personalized therapy plans for each patient. Your physician may recommend this rehabilitation therapy; it is covered by most government and private insurance plans.
For a free referral to spine surgeon, please visit our online physician finder or call (727) 462-7500.
Morton Plant Hospital
Ptak Orthopaedic and Neuroscience Pavilion
430 Morton Plant Street, Suite 101
Clearwater, FL 33756
Maps & Directions